Friday, May 8, 2009

Energycircle.com goes viral and I'm lovin' it

Those of you that take a moment here or there to read this blog (or subscribe to the new RSS feed address) know that among other endeavors, I've taken a small advisory role with Home Energy Resource LLC (Energy Circle).

It wasn't born out simply of my ongoing friendship with Peter Troast and his wife ... but the people involved in this start-up are smart .... really smart.

They're also imparting some excellent money saving content each day (both in the blogs and videos) that can help ANYONE cut their utility bills pretty dramatically.

A few weeks ago, prior to Earth Day, I was chatting with the co-founder Peter Troast and he was telling me about this idea to 'stream' his home's energy use on the Internet (real-time), annotated on Twitter.

My reaction? "Bad idea .... I really can't see this going anywhere".

I kinda pride myself on what works and what doesn't and have a pretty decent track record.

Little did I know of the rather HUGE 'Green' community on Twitter, many of whom are now following me? Hey I'm a marketing guy. What's goin' on here?

In fact it was a little more than viral. It was more like a Twitter earthquake !

Luckily, Peter didn't listen to me.

I'm the first to admit I'm not always right. Nobody is.

Earth Day came and so did ... ugh ... BoingBoing, RWW, TreeHugger, WCSH TV, Current, Lighter Footstep, CleanTechnica, EcoSalon, GreenandCleanMom, BackPacker Magazine, the New England Cable Network, WMTW-TV, and no less than 10 or 20 more print, radio, TV and lots of Internet articles.

From an SEO standpoint ... 'inbound link heaven' (while being 100% White Hat!)

You can be the greatest SEO / PR / PPC person in the universe but it's important to listen, experiment and take a few chances.

Keep an eye on these guys. You don't have to be a 'green enthusiast' (although you should be).

Why waste money ... and that precious commodity known to us all as energy? It worked for me.

 Just sharing a little 'rush' I got on Earth Day :)

Great Weekend All
Charlie