Friday, January 4, 2008

Another reason blogging is just so great .

Ever since I started this blog and more-recently began personalizing it a bit, I realized that I may have been totally wrong about something a short time ago.

At that time, I was thinking of dropping SEO and SEM and going to work for a company I could have some fun with, preferably one of the major players in Search. My clients were driving me a little nuts. I needed a change. A new challenge.

I went so far as to apply. I had the background, qualifications, resume etc. etc. ....

I am about the same age as Bill Gates (less about 50 Billion + or -) ... I don't feel it at all. I am in complete denial, and I'm totally OK with that. In fact, I hope it stays that way forever. If I can keep the energy while growing the wisdom, well how cool is that.

I started wondering if, in fact, there was age discrimination in our industry. I e-mailed people that I knew (pretty well) at 'the big three'. Of course, they balked at addressing it. In fact, it took me a while to get them back to corresponding again. Was it fear? Was I right?

Since SEO and Tech Daily launched, I've have gotten to know a lot of people. Most 'remotely', something I plan to change this year.

I KNOW I was totally wrong about the age thing.


Some names that have been mentioned on this blog are young people. They're all extremely talented in their own unique way (and I'm going to get slaughtered for leaving gobs of people out here ... but, as they say, you know who you are ....).

Recently, Lisa Barone, Veronica Belmont and, yes, Vanessa Fox (Hey, Vanessa, you're still really young ... soak it up!).

ALL of them, at one time or another, had me re-think a position or a blog post based on what they had to say. Check out the 'Lisa' link above .. and my response. Just one example.

The social online dialog crosses generations.
Think about that for a second.

While some discounted one of my posts about 'world peace' and the Internet playing a role, we are in fact communicating ideas that could change the way people look at things, and potentially go on to create positive energy of some kind. Discussion on top of discussion, country to country, generation to generation, and person to person.

Unlike some of the morons that post "Wow, you're cute" to some of these ladies' blogs etc., why not read what they write? ... or in Veronica's case ... watch the video. She's better than some local news anchors?!

I could have just as easily picked out some brilliant men. Jesse Ferrell of Accu-Weather sparked (then ignited) my interest in meteorology 7 or 8 years ago. We didn't meet in person until this past year.

In recent weeks, I have pretty much focused on my 'next path' and am really excited about it. I'm not leaving search, weather or travel. There's just too much love there.

Above all, this blog will continue because I'm truly enjoying reading most of you and the comments here and there, positive and negative, and, I'm still learning and growing.

Did I actually say that ?

No comments: