Thursday, May 27, 2010

Facebook - Yes, Again

There comes a time when blogging about a specific subject gets a little old.

This time, it's different ... and still important.

Over the past few weeks, many of us have written numerous posts about Facebook and the backlash (at least in the 'tech world') over the social network's privacy changes and ambitions.

On Wednesday, Facebook introduced their upgraded privacy page.

I'm writing this post because I feel strongly the more of us that do, the better the chance that people will find out about these important changes, and motivate them to re-visit their privacy settings (or remind them to).

There are many opinions on this roll-out.  You can read more than a few on Techmeme here.

Here's a brief overview.

1) I visited my own page and noticed more than a few 'open' areas that I thought I had made 'Friends Only'.  Conclusion: The default hasn't changed. It's still opt out rather than opt in.

2) It IS positively easier to tweak your settings using the new privacy page.  IE:  Want private?  Just zip through the pages and set everything to 'Friends Only'.

3) It's still hard for some to find.  Facebook should put a prominent link 'Privacy Settings and Information' where all users will notice it (and keep it there).

Overall, a huge improvement.

Will people actually do it?

I still doubt it.

Charlie