Friday, December 19, 2008

Out With The Old (Feeds) - In With The New

One of the projects on my to-do list this week was to 'clean-up' my Google Reader subscriptions.



Like many of you, I get my 'morning take' from a few select websites and blogs.
One of my first stops in the morning is my Google Reader.

The problem?

As I continued to discover new and interesting blogs and websites over time, I added hundreds of feeds. Despite Google's recent changes to Reader, it now greets me with "1000+ unread feeds" each morning.

I needed a more efficient way of pairing down the list... and I decided to re-visit Feedly to help me out.

Feedly, despite a few minor problems in the early stages, has matured dramatically.  The online plug-in  organizes your Google Reader feeds in an easy-to-read format, and provides unique navigation, as well as 'sharing', and numerous other features.

(Kudos to Edwin Khodabakchian for his continued and ongoing development of this project.  It's come a long way since Beta 1!).

I made a list for a 'one week review' using Feedly.   Now ..... The next question became ... What am I missing?  With tens of thousands of important and timely feeds, there have to be a few that I want to read every day.

Like many of you, I visit a number of so-called aggregators and tech sites each day. For me, it's TechMeMe, the newly re-launched Google Blog Search (Technology), and yes, discovery using Friendfeed (and Twitter).

'Discovery' is becoming easier than ever!

Many of us have been 'sharing' feeds over the past year. Those 'shares' are picked up by aggregators such as ReadBurner and RSSMeMe.  They provided some good insight. There were more than a few popular and interesting feeds among the 'most popular'.

The project has a way to go, but since I really do spend way too much time with this stuff (and I know that many of you do too), I thought I'd share a little of the process I'm using to cure my RSS 'feed mania'.

More to come.

Hopefully, when this is finished, I can start setting up some real comfortable (interesting AND fun) Friendfeed categories ....

.....and add another thousand or so of you :)

Great weekend all!
Charlie

Edit Dec 20 AM